AGM voltages

Submitted: Sunday, Dec 03, 2006 at 12:12
ThreadID: 40014 Views:8583 Replies:7 FollowUps:9
This Thread has been Archived
Hi,

I am fairly new to the 12V game and hope some wise soul can help with some info regarding voltages in AGM batteries.

I have a 100Ah Remco AGM. I had it floating on a smart charger and disconnected before we left so I could get an accurate reading - 13.11V after 7hrs off the charger. I used it this weekend (Fri pm to Sun am) running a 60L waeco and a fluoro at night. 12.75V under load after 16hrs, 12.38 underload after 25hrs. 12.40V at home and rested having been used for 40hrs. Does this sound normal?

I ask because I have one of the projecta battery monitors which read "fair" at 12.38V. Also I had the waeco set to medium on its voltage monitor which should cut off at 11.5V. It cut out this morning (battery read 12.37V) until I switched it to low (10.5V). It seems odd that these 2 devices would suggest a voltage in the 11's while the battery itself reads 12.4V.

I have seen the state of charge table for lead-acid batteries at www.windsun.com/Batteries/Battery_FAQ.htm#AGM,%20or%20Absorbed%20Glass%20Mat%20Batteries

is there a corresponding table for AGMs?

Thanks for your help
David
Back Expand Un-Read 0 Moderator

Reply By: Member - John and Val W (ACT) - Sunday, Dec 03, 2006 at 15:52

Sunday, Dec 03, 2006 at 15:52
Hi David,

I can't be very specific about AGM, because my experience is confined to wet cell and gel cell types, however the chemistry is very similar (voltages are a bit different), so my experiences may throw some light on your situation.

First thing is to establish just what your load actually is. My 40 litre Waeko consumes about 3.6 amps when running, and I reckon (educated guess) that it probably runs for about 30% of the 24 hour day, hence in a day it consumes about 25 amp hrs. How big is your flouro? A little one, with 2 tubes 9" long, will consume about 1 amp, runs for say 3 hours at night = 3amp hours per day. At this point it's worth noting that 90% of the load is the fridge. My battery also charges the laptop, cameras, phone, and runs the hf and cb radios, but in the daily tally they don't take much - the fridge remains by far the major load. Your Fridge is bigger than mine so probably takes a bit more.

On the above basis, I require at least 30 amp hrs, possibly 35 Ah each day. You probably need 35 - 40 Ah

Batteries - you've already been to the windsun site (http://www.windsun.com/Batteries/Battery_FAQ.htm),
which is the most informative source of which I'm aware.

I've done discharge tests with my 130 Ah wet deep cycle battery, applying a constant current load and monitoring voltage as the battery discharges. In my case there is a roughly straight line decline from the nominal 12.6V down to about 11.5V, accounting for about 100 Ah, then another straight line decline (much faster) from 11.5 down. For this reason I regard 11.5 as my preferred end point, and 11.0 as the point where any non-essentials (eg cold beer) are cut off. Battery life is substantially reduced if the battery is discharged too much further than this, especially if it is allowed to remain deep discharged for long. My key finding here is that you actually get only about 75% of the nominal battery capacity before you reach an end point where the rate of voltage drop becomes quite high.

In your case, I think your battery has probably provided about 60 to 70 Ah during its 40 hours operation, and so I would expect it to be approaching a conservative end point.

Regarding the fridge cutout voltages V's measured battery voltage - there will be some voltage loss in the cable and connectors (resistance) when the fridge is drawing current (see ohms law), so the fridge isn't seeing the full battery voltage. This is particularly true during starting, when the fridge draws much higher current than it does when running. Note too that the internal resistance in the battery means that the terminal voltage depends on the load current too, so measured voltages will vary with load.

Suggest measure currents and get a better idea of just what your load actually is. I'd be a bit disappointed with the apparent battery capacity, but really need more data to suggest that there is anything wrong.

HTH

John

J and V
"Not everything that can be counted counts, and not everything that counts can be counted."
- Albert Einstein

Lifetime Member
My Profile  My Blog  Send Message

AnswerID: 208330

Reply By: Derek from Affordable Batteries & Radiators - Sunday, Dec 03, 2006 at 16:30

Sunday, Dec 03, 2006 at 16:30
Hi David

I have a graph on my site that can help you work things out.

The graph is showing capacity while under load. This will help your question to be answered. Remember your fridge measures voltage internally and your other meters are external direct to the battery.

SOC Graph

Regards

Derek.
AnswerID: 208336

Follow Up By: Member - David A (QLD) - Sunday, Dec 03, 2006 at 16:47

Sunday, Dec 03, 2006 at 16:47
Hi Derek,

thanks for your reply. What do the different curves represent on the graph? (eg c/10). Sorry, it's probably a stupid question.

Thanks again
David
FollowupID: 468285

Follow Up By: Derek from Affordable Batteries & Radiators - Sunday, Dec 03, 2006 at 17:01

Sunday, Dec 03, 2006 at 17:01
Hi David

The c is the current draw. You can work just above the c-3 for your fridge.

Regards

Derek.
FollowupID: 468287

Follow Up By: Derek from Affordable Batteries & Radiators - Sunday, Dec 03, 2006 at 18:09

Sunday, Dec 03, 2006 at 18:09
Hi David

I may have more info on the graph and table. A OE member was kind enough to send me the original document. There are 2 graphs and more notes on how to read them.

http://www.homepower.com/files/battvoltandsoc.pdf

Sorry if it was confusing.

Regards

Derek.
FollowupID: 468296

Follow Up By: Junior - Saturday, Dec 09, 2006 at 03:15

Saturday, Dec 09, 2006 at 03:15
Derek- i thought the 'C' rating on batteries was representative of battery capacity over a set period of discharge.
ie: my 75amp/hr optima batt has a c20 rating- i thought this meant I have 75amp hours available to use (if I ran completely flat) over a 20hour period- meaning that a 3.75amp load would run my batt flat in 20 hours?... am I wrong?

So with my batt if I've got a 3.75amp load I should look at c20 graph and
if I've got a 7.5amp load I should look at c10 graph.

The way you describe it is that the 'c' levels are just representing current load or amps being drawn from battery?... which is right?

I currently have a low battery cut-out set to 11volts and am concerned that this now be a little low.

How low can you run these AGM batteries without damage???

Asked similar questions from Collyn Rivers, but no response... anyone know what he's up to?????????????????????

FollowupID: 469391

Follow Up By: disco1942 - Saturday, Dec 09, 2006 at 15:20

Saturday, Dec 09, 2006 at 15:20
Junior

You are on the ball. Let us look at the graphs of curves that Derek has referred you to in his links. “C” is the capacity of the battery in ampere hours (A/H.) As the most common specification for capacity is the C/20 figure and this is the one you will get quoted by the manufacturers and salesmen today we will use this figure for “C” in the tables. The label C/xx on each of the curves means that this curve relates to the voltage you would expect to see if you were discharging your battery at a constant rate over xx hours. For instance if you had a 75A/H battery and you were drawing 3.75A then you would look at the C/20 (75/3.75 = 20) curve to find what capacity was left was at a particular voltage. (75A/H divided by 2.75A = 20 hours or alternately 75/20 = 3.75A which ever way you do your maths.) If you are drawing 15A you would look at the C/5 curve.

Now with your fridge drawing 3.5A and you had a 110A/H battery you will look for a C/31.5 curve as it would take 31.5 hours to completely discharge a battery at that current. However you will not find such a curve so you have to gestimate a curve between the C/20 and the C/100 curves.

One of Derek's references contained charge curves. These work in a similar manner to the discharge curves only they indicate how “full” your battery is for a given charge current and voltage.

To confuse you more there are different discharge times used for rating batteries. (Just disregard this if you are having problems understanding it, you wont loose out much.) The 'C' is the capacity of the battery – the most common capacity figure is for the battery to be fully discharged over a a 20 hour period (or C/20.) Some batteries are rated for a 10 hour discharge period (C/10,) in this case 'C' will be a smaller figure and I have also seen 100 hour (C/100) figures specified – these are now larger than the C/20 figure. This is how batteries work, the bigger the discharge the discharge the less you will get out of the battery in the way of amp/hours.

PeterD
PeterD
Retired radio and electronics technician

Lifetime Member
My Profile  Send Message

FollowupID: 469470

Reply By: Member - Oldplodder (QLD) - Sunday, Dec 03, 2006 at 17:31

Sunday, Dec 03, 2006 at 17:31
Is the 12.38 volt battery reading with out a load?
i.e. fridge not connected or not drawing current?
If yes, maybe the battery drops to under11.5v on load with the fridge connnected and drawing current, and so cuts out?
Have you put a multi meter on it while the fridge is not drawing and while drawing to see if there is a difference?

If your battery guage is connected at the battery, and your wae, ...waco... , waeco (Sorry I have an engel and find it hard to spell these funny names :O))) cutout is set at 11.5v , how much voltage drop are you getting in your wiring from battery terminal to fridge terminal? About 1v? Suggest you get the multimeter out again for a check.
AnswerID: 208341

Follow Up By: Member - David A (QLD) - Sunday, Dec 03, 2006 at 17:46

Sunday, Dec 03, 2006 at 17:46
Good point Oldplodder, I didn't specifically check whether the compressor was running when I measured, just that it was "on" and at temperature (1-2deg). I'm new to all this so I'm a bit hesitant sticking the multimeter probes in funny places when I don't know the end result (even on the battery terminals I'm waiting for it to go ZAAAP!!). I assume to check voltage drop i measure once at battery and once at the fridge? Where abouts on the fridge to I stick the "pointy bits"?

Thanks, David

BTW, I thought an engel was something you measured with a protractor...: |
FollowupID: 468290

Follow Up By: disco1942 - Saturday, Dec 09, 2006 at 15:24

Saturday, Dec 09, 2006 at 15:24
David

When you are checking a battery it will not hurt your meter if you leave it permanently connected to your battery. Just do not rotate the range switch through any non-voltage positions.

PeterD
PeterD

Lifetime Member
My Profile  Send Message

FollowupID: 469471

Reply By: Member - Oldplodder (QLD) - Sunday, Dec 03, 2006 at 18:19

Sunday, Dec 03, 2006 at 18:19
The angle of the engel when dangling is generally 90 degrees, plus or minus 30 degrees for it to work properly. :o)

Not sure if you can pull the plug back at the fridge a little to get the point of the multimetre in there. Otherwise if it is simple enough, take the cover off to pick up the terminal at the back of the plug? Or can you get a reading at the fridge side of the car plug, next best? Reading with fridge running and not running?
AnswerID: 208354

Reply By: Member - Tonester (VIC) - Sunday, Dec 03, 2006 at 20:47

Sunday, Dec 03, 2006 at 20:47
Hi David. I'll be watching the replies here. In the same boat.

Just got a 100ah Remco myself and Waeco 50lt. I ran the fridge in the lounge set to 4 degrees (pre-chilled from 240v). It measured 12.91 at rest before I plugged the fridge in and measured with a volt meter the at rest voltage every 2hrs or so during my waking days, and planned to draw a time/volt graph to see how long it took, and where the voltage sat for periods. I had to stop tho, cause I went away by the time it got to 12v and had to disconnect. This was nearly 5 days later too. The volts were less under load that at rest.
AnswerID: 208388

Reply By: Sand Man (SA) - Monday, Dec 04, 2006 at 09:13

Monday, Dec 04, 2006 at 09:13
David,

The graph you have identified from the Windsun site is for all lead acid batteries.

An AGM battery is merely another form of lead acid battery and therefore the graph is suitable for them as well.
Bill

I'm diagonally parked in a parallel Universe!

My Profile  My Blog  My Position  Send Message

AnswerID: 208460

Follow Up By: disco1942 - Saturday, Dec 09, 2006 at 15:27

Saturday, Dec 09, 2006 at 15:27
No it is not - see the link in the next reply.
PeterD

Lifetime Member
My Profile  Send Message

FollowupID: 469472

Reply By: Robin - Monday, Dec 04, 2006 at 13:30

Monday, Dec 04, 2006 at 13:30
Hi David

I guess it can be a bit confusing with different answers and tables, but an AGM battery is different from your normal types and has generally higher voltages.

The following table shows both Normal and AGM state of charge voltages.

http://www.uuhome.de/william.darden/SoC.xls

Robin Miller
AnswerID: 208492

Follow Up By: disco1942 - Saturday, Dec 09, 2006 at 15:52

Saturday, Dec 09, 2006 at 15:52
David

The link Robin gave you in reply 7 shows that “batteries ain't batteries” to mis-quote a certain motor oil add. Different additives are included in the lead plates for batteries in different applications. William Darden's chart show how the voltages levels change for different chemistry in the batteries. I have seen the chart in the Wind & Sun link that you gave and I have not thought it of much use. I don't know what sort of battery it is for but I am yet to see any chart supplied with any battery that has voltage levels so low. I would suggest you disregard it. Go to the supplier of your battery and obtain the correct chart for it or find out where you can obtain one and use it and no other. I do not have one for an AGM battery so I am no help in that direction. However if you can't get the correct chart then Darden's one will be much closer to your battery than Wind & Sun's.

PeterD
PeterD

Lifetime Member
My Profile  Send Message

FollowupID: 469475

Sponsored Links